Name:
Location: If I told you I'd have to kill you, United States

6'2 (with 1 and 1/2 inch boots on) brown hair brown eyes...that when you stare into them, you can't escape their hypnotic charm...

Monday, March 14, 2005

Poem Of The Week #24

This week's poem is a special request from a pal of mine, so I hope you enjoy it all. It's by Pablo Neruda, a Spanish poet (but this is in English). Have fun!

I declare myself guilty of not having made,
with these hands they gave me,
a broom.

Why didn't I make a broom?
Why did they give me hands?

What use have they been
if all I ever did was
watch the stir of the grain,
listen up for the wind
and did not gather straws
still green in the earth
for a broom,
not set the soft stalks to dry
and bind them
in a gold bundle,
and did not lash a wooden stick
to the yellow skirt
till I had a broom for the paths?

So it goes.
How did my life
get by
without seeing, and learning,
and gathering and binding
the basic things?

It's too late to deny
I had the time,
the time,
yet the hands were lacking,
so how could I aim
for greatness
if I was never able
to make
a broom
not one,
not even one?

Pablo Neruda, "Guilty" (translated by John Felstiner)

I must say that I am a fan of this poem! Thanks for the poem Keith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home